Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Laundry Escapades


It is not uncommon in our house for a pile of clean laundry to sit on the couch for a week (I know, I cringe reading it too). On most days I will get laundry out of the dryer and fold it immediately, but sometimes when I'm having a busy, rough week--I will still do the laundry, it just may not all get folded right away. While visiting my sister in Texas, I realized I am not the only one who does this on occasion and now I don't feel as guilty. Thanks sis!

So, today I spent part of my morning talking to Matt on Skype and the webcam, as I do most mornings, and decided I may just tackle the pile of clean clothes that has been staring at me in the face for a week. Most of the time I will clean everything around the couch of unfolded clothes, vacuum the floor, and de-clutter every corner, but the pile (like this particular one) will stay untouched for over 5 days. Today I figured there definitely has to be some sort of limit to how many days it can remain unfolded, so I sat down to do some serious folding.
But then something strange happened. I heard my tv talking to me. Really it was my dvr, telling me to erase the things that I would never watch or never have time to watch, and it was begging to be organized. Matt has also kindly asked me to clear some space on the dvr, and save the episodes of 24 so he can watch them upon his return. Being the dutiful wife that I am, I sat down on the laundry-free couch (trying to avoid eye-contact with the couch designated for clean clothes) and began deleting programs and figuring out which ones I needed to keep. During this time, Maya got bored with me but didn't want to go up to the play room and play with her toys. She was already dressed for the day, but within a few minutes began adding more and more shirts, pajama pants, shorts, and two different colored socks to her wardrobe from the clean pile of clothes. By the time she was done she was wearing a pair of jeans, pajama pants, shorts, and four shirts (all the while singing and talking to herself). She put on my heels from church and a coat and happily exclaimed, "I'm ready for the ball!" The moment was too sweet not to capture. If I had folded that pile a week ago like I should've, this moment would've never happened, so thank goodness I didn't. Yet another great reason not to feel guilty about it. Ah, and here I am blogging about the experience instead of folding that pile of laundry on the couch.

4 comments:

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

SO adorable!! I want to see a picture of the "pile"! You are amazing girl. So happy to hear that your DVR is organized. Nothing like something better to do than fold laundry! I want you to know that I FINALLY took care of my "pile" right after you left! HA! While you were here we had more important things to do than fold laundry! Oh and now that I have Rose and Ruby...I am on top of my laundry better than I have ever been!! Rose and Ruby can wash and dry some serious laundry!

Sarah K said...

I totally think people reading your comment must think Rose and Ruby are your maids. Ah ha ha. :)

Jason and Tawni said...

Sarah - I hope you don't mind that I peeked at your blog from Shaelyn's ... I just had to see what you have been up to! If you want to see ours, it is private so send me your email address and I will make sure to send an invitation to you. In the meantime, I can't even believe that you are pregnant with #3! That is awesome! Congratulations!